Interest in Styles Inspector and Styles Highlighter for GSoC

Mike Kaganski mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 29 09:17:44 UTC 2020

Hi,

Please keep mailing list in the recipients. Thanks.

On 2020-02-29 11:49, Shivam Kumar Singh wrote:
> Hi Mike, Tomaz, all,
>
> So basically the “Highlighter” will show all the paragraph styles and
> character styles that have been applied in the document and will
> highlight their relevant sections, whereas the “Inspector” will give an
> overview of all the properties at the point where our cursor is.
> But in both we are mostly focusing on the Paragraph and Character
> styles. There can be page, frame, list styles too. Should we not
> consider them ?

We should not limit to a subset of styles. The Inspector should show any
property that affects how the text in the cursor position is shown,
wherever it might come from. (I suppose that for non-text selection,
it's a next task; let's start with one task in view.)

Highlighter is Heiko's idea, so better ask him about how he feels about
the scope of styles shown there (given that they overlap in different
ways, and possibly it makes sense to have a selector to define which
kind of styles is shown currently).

> In Writer if given two different texts having different font properties
> then on clicking on the texts the “Character Styles” on the side pane,
> “Font Size” on the top bar and other properties changes w.r.t the
> property applied for that font. Somehow if we could assemble this
> changing property together then making the “Inspector” won’t be very
> difficult.
>
> Regarding the placing, for the “Highlighter” I think adding another tab
> in the Styles side pane would be a good option as we could use more
> space here, and it would be a cleaner approach.

IIUC Highlighter is expected to show that right on the page?

> For “Inspector” a new window could be a good option.
> What do you think ?

Do you mean adding a new pane? (I suppose it would be the correct way.)

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski