Duplicate .uno commands

Kaganski Mike mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 3 08:38:39 UTC 2020

Hi Miklos,

Thanks for your comments!

On 2020-01-03 11:28, Miklos Vajna wrote:
>> The problem with this, besides duplication itself (including e.g.
>> drawing icons), is that both of them appear in customization dialog, and
>> that's confusing.
>
> You can avoid duplicated icons via icon-themes/.../links.txt.

My point about duplication and icons was duplicated effort for creating
them - which has already happened, as seen in this case; not how
technically to make two commands to point to the same icon (which is
easy - once you *know* that they are duplicates).

>> Having two elements in customization dialog with same
>> name, but different operation, as often happening, is already bad enough
>> (user has to experiment to find the one that is needed; that was handled
>> partially in tdf#108458); but having two totally identical elements is
>> too much IMO. Users would struggle to find the difference; and anyway
>> assume they just didn't find the scenario where they act differently.
>
> Can't we label the deprecated one as "... (deprecated)"?

Do you mean changing label of one? I'd say it's not ideal: the idea
behind deprecation will not be obvious; in the presence of many
non-duplicating commands with identical names, these two would still
raise questions like "is this one deprecated because it's a duplicate of
*that other one*, or *of another unknown*, or because of other reason?",
which would still not address the problem. I hoped there's an existing
way to mark a command as "hidden from Customization dialog" :-)

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski