What is an adequate "existing LibreOffice installation" for extension development?

David Johnson david_johnson58 at outlook.com
Fri Jan 10 17:09:26 UTC 2020

The environment I work in:

Ubuntu 19.10
LibreOffice 6.3.3.2

The LibreOffice SDK requires a path to a LibreOffice installation:

"OFFICE_HOME: Path to an existing LibreOffice installation, e.g. "/opt/libreoffice8". Be sure that it is not a user installation only."

My question: can I use the LibreOffice that is in the Ubuntu repository for this purpose?

In other words, will the following suffice:

$ sudo apt-get install libreoffice

and then I tried to find the installation directory, which seems to be:

/usr/lib/libreoffice/

Is this adequate? Or is this "only a user installation"?

If it is not adequate, what is the most efficient way to install a "non-user" version of LibreOffice on my machine? Should that be done manually (compiling from source for example?) Or can I make use of other standard packages in the Ubuntu repository? Or...?

Thank you so much.