What is an adequate "existing LibreOffice installation" for extension development?

Michael Stahl mst at libreoffice.org
Fri Jan 10 17:27:16 UTC 2020

On 10.01.20 18:09, David Johnson wrote:
> The environment I work in:
>
> Ubuntu 19.10
> LibreOffice 6.3.3.2
>
> The LibreOffice SDK requires a path to a LibreOffice installation:
>
> "*OFFICE_HOME*: Path to an existing LibreOffice installation, e.g.
> "/opt/libreoffice8". Be sure that it is not a user installation only."
>
> My question: can I use the LibreOffice that is in the Ubuntu repository
> for this purpose?
>
> In other words, will the following suffice:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install libreoffice
>
> and then I tried to find the installation directory, which seems to be:
>
> /usr/lib/libreoffice/

yes and no.

if you install the SDK from Ubuntu repository too then you have to use
the Ubuntu libreoffice package. i'm not sure what it's called; in Fedora
it's "libreoffice-sdk".

if you install the SDK from TDF upstream packages you have to install
LibreOffice from TDF upstream packages.

> Is this adequate? Or is this "only a user installation"?

i'm not sure what "user installation" refers to here, but possibly it is
the user configuration directory, cf. soffice -env:UserInstallation=...