What is an adequate "existing LibreOffice installation" for extension development?

David Johnson david_johnson58 at outlook.com
Mon Jan 20 21:01:26 UTC 2020

>> In the meanwhile I have tried installing the libreoffice-dev package -- with success! It turns out doing this installed all the required libraries/headers needed. Now, the LibreOffice extension examples seem to compile successfully.
>
>great!
>

>> I think that https://api.libreoffice.org/docs/install.html uses the phrase "user installation" to refer to the non-developer variant of the application in the package repository.
>
>i'm not sure that is true, and have taken a slightly different approach
>
>with https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/86987

Ah, that is a simple solution... ;-)

>> For an experienced Linux developer this may clear, but I think many people would be helped if this would be explained a bit more. (Something like: "Install the developer's package of LibreOffice that is present in the repository of your Linux distribution,
> or install LibreOffice manually from ... . Examples of developer's packages on several distro's are: Ubuntu: libreoffice-dev; Fedora: libreoffice-sdk, etc.")
>

>there is already an explanation of that right at the top of that page.

You are right, how could I have overlooked it! I think I overlooked it because after reading the first option "If you have installed an official The Document Foundation LibreOffice release" I was under the impression this was the case, because I assumed that my operating system's package manage would not do anything else. Therefore, I probably skipped reading the second option. So, perhaps it would help to explicitly add to the first option "if you did *not* use your operating's systems package manager but ... then ...". Or simply reverse the order of the options.

(Just thinking along, I know how valuable it can be if a newcomer goes through manuals, the problem is you cannot be a newcomer twice... ;-) )