Building skia with clang(-cl)

Michael Weghorn m.weghorn at posteo.de
Tue Jun 9 06:45:48 UTC 2020

On 09/06/2020 08.32, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 09.06.20 um 08:18 schrieb Michael Weghorn:
>> On 08/06/2020 15.16, Rene Engelhard wrote:
>>> (I consider the existence of gen a problem, too, maybe I should just
>>> make -gtk3 a non-optional part.
>>>
>>> But still then afaik the desktop detector will still use "gen" on e.g.
>>> fluxbox or so, didn't actually check lately?)
>> IIRC, Caolán mentioned that on IRC yesterday already:
>> Unless explicitly specified otherwise (like setting SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN
>> env variable), "gen" is the last choice, so won't be used if another VCL
>> plugin is present and can be loaded, s. [1].
>
> And as I also said yesterday on IRC it is possible to install LO in
> Debian without gtk3 or qt5/kf5 present.
>
> That also can be deliberate (some random WM which doesn't "need" gtk3,
> KDE people who do not want gtk3 stuff on their system, ..), or
> accidentially (apt install libreoffice doesn't "force" gtk3 on people.
> If you choose -gnome you get -gtk3 recommended and thus installed, as
> does the installer for "desktop" installs)
>
> Yes, I know people advocate on ignoring those dependencies and just ship
> it in -core or so and let the loading mechanism figure it out. I think
> this is bad (packages should express their library linkage in dependencies.)

Yes, you mentioned that indeed; I was just referring to the part of the
email I quoted where you were mentioning what would happen if -gtk3 was
made non-optional in Debian. (So this was not really news, more of a
"for the records" comment, since probably not everybody on the mailing
list also reads all IRC messages).

(And I personally agree that VCL plugin packages in Debian should
actually depend on the libraries they need to be usable.)