Building LO from source

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Fri Jun 12 05:55:57 UTC 2020

> I think it's best to recompile the source from scratch with official DEB
> packaging system.

IMHO, as an outsider, only Debian's own way to package LibreOffice can be
said to be "official". It is *very* different from the way TDF packages
LibreOffice in the .deb format.

How can I exclude some of the apps such as "Draw"?

Draw (and Writer, Calc, etc) are not "apps" as such IMHO but different
kinds of documents that the one same app, LibreOffice, manages using the
same soffice.bin process. But that is just terminology, we know what you
mean.

> Is it possible that
> each app has its own DEB installation file so that I won't be installing
> it if I skip its DEB file?

That *is* exactly how the real Debian packages for LibreOffice are
structured. See https://packages.debian.org/buster/libreoffice Also many
(most?) other Linux distros, like Fedora for instance, split LibreOffice
into multiple packages, like libreoffice-core, libreoffice-writer,
libreoffice-calc, libreoffice-draw, etc.

(As such, I don't think that it makes sense to split up LibreOffice like
that, I find it fairly pointless, old-fashioned and needlessly complex, but
then I am not a Linux zealot, I like macOS more. But just ignore me here.)

--tml