Reasonable boost baseline?

Rene Engelhard rene at debian.org
Tue Mar 24 18:20:11 UTC 2020

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 02:41:43PM +0100, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 21/03/2020 12:28, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> > I would like to start a discussion about the actual Boost baselines we
> > need to support on libreoffice-6-3, -6-4, and master.  Lacking any
> > communicated reason why a branch should support a specific lower
> > baseline, I would suggest we stick to the version of our bundled
> > external/boost on a branch as the baseline for that branch (and update
> > the configure.ac AX_BOOST_BASE check accordingly).
>
> Thanks for the responses.  So contemporary SUSE-based distros appear to
> require 1.66, which is also the case for RHEL-8--based ones, while
> contemporary Debian-based distros appear to require 1.67.

require? No. (My message was badly worded, though)

It *has* to work with 1.67. Which is what is done with 1.66 as baseline
which is OK for me then :)

> I'm thus going to submit <https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/90985>
> "Set Boost baseline to 1.66, and enforce it" to master once it builds green.
> (I don't intend to backport it to libreoffice-6-3 or -6-4 myself, but if
> anybody sees a need for that, wouldn't mind either.)

Well, and then a patch gets applied in master and backported to -6-4 or
even -6-3 and breaks this again.... (-6-4 is where people noticed after
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?h=libreoffice-6-4&id=73cac1031131021819a0fbd4d60554196aea230c

So yes, I think this should be backported.

Regards,

Rene