Calc solvers - what to say in the Calc Guide

Kohei Yoshida kohei at libreoffice.org
Thu May 14 23:19:40 UTC 2020

On 10.05.2020 10:59, Stephen Fanning wrote:

> What guidance can I insert into the Calc Guide to help the user if he
> wonders which algorithm to select?

This is strictly my personal opinion.

Which optimization solver to pick really depends on the characteristics
of the data being optimized, how (well) the algorithm is implemented in
the versions included in Calc, the accuracy goal etc. etc.  It's more an
art than science, and each user really needs to experiment with various
solvers to see which one works best for his or her optimization cases.
My personal opinion is that it is probably beyond the scope of Calc user
guide to provide any sort of guidance on how to select a solver.

Feel free to disagree with me on this.  I'm not an expert. :-)

Kohei