On dialogs.ui and Extended Tips

Olivier Hallot olivier.hallot at libreoffice.org
Mon Sep 28 13:17:42 UTC 2020

HI Folks

Recently we filled the Extended Tips on most dialogs with the contents
of the corresponding <ahelp> tags, and we reused all existing translations.

The extended tips are now located in each dialog.ui under the
"accessible-description" entry of the widget.

Extended tips are an important resource for end users, because it can
save time to get help on a given ui widget, and improve productivity.

To fill the "accessible description" with the extended tip when editing
a dilaog with Glade, you must also fill the "Context for translation"
textbox and please follow this recipe:

<dialogfilename>|extended_tip|<widgetname>

Then add some words on the purpose of the widget in the "Text" textbox.

Example: in the file core/chart2/uiconfig/ui/tp_DataLabel.ui we have a
new checkbox "Connect displaced data labels to data points"

Then with the dialog loaded in Glade, under "accessible-description" in
the Accessibility tab, click on the drop-down arrow on the right to open
the accessible-description input dialog.

in "Text:" add
"Draws a line connecting the data label to the data point in pie charts."

In "Context for translators" enter
dlg_DataLabel|extended_tip|CB_CUSTOM_LEADER_LINES

Save the dialog file.

The more we fill the Extended tip the better for the end user and our
quality improves. It also helps translators to find the correct
translation of the widget and authors to write about the feature.

Note: Please use Glade 3.36 or later. Previous releases of Glade have
bugs in the accessibility-description handling.

Note2: The "Context for translation" recipe was set to prevent string
duplication in the translation process, since for example, the same
widget name can appear in different dialogs. In the example above,
dlg_DataLabel.ui and tab_DataLabel.ui have the same widget names. By
adding the filename, we turn them unique in the PO file messsage.po.

Note 3: The <ahelp> tag in the Help is then obsolete. However, it will
not be removed from the HC2 files.

Regards
--
Olivier Hallot