Creating a LibreOffice software architecture document

Hossein Noorikhah hossein.ir at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 15:14:19 UTC 2021

Hi,

I have recently edited several README.md files for all LibreOffice modules:
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/113424

As the modules and structure of the software are a big part of a "software
architecture" document, I was wondering if we could make a "LibreOffice Software
Architecture" document out of these contents.

The resulting document is attached. The used command was:
    pandoc README.md */README.md -o libreoffice-software-architecture.odt

For sure, there are a lot of things that should be taken care of. For example,
parts dedicated to many modules lack enough information. On the other hand,
information about some modules is lengthy, and more than what is intended for a
software architecture document.

Also, these modules are combined together in a way that can not be easily
understood from a very complex automatically-generated graph like this one:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Code_Overview
but rather from a manually-drawn diagram. There exist some equivalent diagrams
in OpenOffice documentation, which may be out of date.

Also, the resulting document, even in its current state can be put on
docs.libreoffice.org as a downloadable format of the modules documents.

I am aware of these development-related books, but they are -mostly, but not
completely- focused on development rather than software architecture.

1. https://wiki.openoffice.org/w/images/d/d9/DevelopersGuide_OOo3.1.0.pdf
2. https://chris-sherlock.gitbook.io/inside-libreoffice/
3. https://niocs.github.io/LOBook/index.html

I appreciate any advice, help, etc.