CppCheck Report on vm140 Not Running

Luke Benes lukebenes at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 22 12:51:12 UTC 2021

> I'm more interested in running such tools locally

Depending on the configuration, cppcheck scans can take 8+ hours to run. This can be greatly reduce with parallel checks at the cost of several checks being disabled.

> The other problem with cppcheck is that it doesn't build on an existing
c++ parser from a compiler

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3300446/cppcheck-clang-import

They are working on a clang AST importer. Experimental support has already landed.

> its signal/noise ratio is lower than e.g. coverity or clang-tidy.

A couple of years ago, I investigated this issue and found that cppcheck is missing include locations. When I provided those, the number of errors reported dropped from 9000+ to several hundred.

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Cppcheck

At the time I manually generated include paths. Another option would be to use the ide-integration scripts to generate these.

-Luke