CppCheck Report on vm140 Not Running

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at collabora.com
Thu Apr 22 07:14:08 UTC 2021

Hi Luke,

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 02:16:21PM +0000, Luke Benes <lukebenes at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I spoke to the author of the cppcheck script, Maarten Hoes, about this
> issue. We would like to know why no one has responded to our emails
> about the cppcheck service being down. Are devs not interested in
> cppcheck's results, is it the high false positives, or is it that no
> one knows how to help get it back online?

I'm more interested in running such tools locally, so whenever I fix an
error/warning from such a tool, I can do have these steps:

1) run the tool -> see the result

2) attempt to fix it

3) run the tool again -> see the result disappearing

If the tool is not running locally, 2) will be a blind fix, which is not
ideal.

E.g. IWYU has a wrapper in core.git, so you can run:

bin/find-unneeded-includes path/to/test.cxx

and it'll show you the IWYU result for that .cxx file.

It is possible that such a wrapper for cppcheck would be also useful,
and would require less maintenance that a full service.

The other problem with cppcheck is that it doesn't build on an existing
c++ parser from a compiler (not based on e.g. gcc or clang), so its
signal/noise ratio is lower than e.g. coverity or clang-tidy. This is of
course not your fault, but it explains if the interest is lower than
what you expect.

Regards,

Miklos