CppCheck Report on vm140 Not Running

Guilhem Moulin guilhem at libreoffice.org
Thu Apr 29 19:25:29 UTC 2021

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 at 18:26:27 +0000, Luke Benes wrote:
> Whether Maaten misremembered, there was a net spit, or
> problem with your search, he did reach out to the dev list:
> http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Automated-cppcheck-reports-not-running-tt4290186.html

Which is not a channel to reach the infra team, see https://tdf.io/infra .
I for one don't read that mailing list :-P  It is, however, probably the
best place to gauge developer interest in having that service (it's not
up to the infra team to decide whether there in interest in this or that
service).  Can only assume that if the service was relied upon by many
then someone would have forwarded the message; like bugzilla issues
reported to the QA list, weblate issues reported to the l10n list, any
issue reported to the localized lists, etc.

>> I'm very much against re-hooking a box
>
> A box that ran for years without any issues. When Maartin informed
> us that he lost his vm140 ssh-key in his very first email weeks ago,
> you said all you could do is reboot it from the hypervisor.

Please don't change the narrative.  I didn't write that's all I *could*
do, only that “I'm not taking care of that VM.  Rebooted it again, but
that's I'll do for now.”  And the message you're referring to appears to
be what prompted you to write to Maarten in the first place — it was
sent *before* Maarten's reply.

> Why that was fix acceptable at the time?  How is having a vm with a
> lost ssh key preferable to resetting it?

I didn't realize that the box was actually unmaintained, my bad.  That
fact indeed came to light early in the other thread, and the box is shut
down since then.

> It’s strange that all these emails and 2 weeks later, this new excuse
> comes out of nowhere.

Out of nowhere?  On April 15 already you got a message from Florian
which says a fresh setup would likely be preferable.  Followed by two
parallels threads discussing the usefulness of that service, and my
reading is that there is little interest in reviving the service.  See
yesterday's message from Florian for the summary.

> We are volunteers. Poor communication and artificial roadblocks only
> discourages outside help.

I disagree about the “artificial” qualification.  Sorry to hear that
you'd prefer having that service live but again see Florian's summary,
there doesn't appear to have enough interest *at this point in time* to
justify the extra work.

Compare that with a Wiki plugin that's only use by a handful of pages
and that causes us headaches during each upgrade because it's not
maintained upstream — at some point it's worth asking ourselves if we're
not better off without it (been there).

--
Guilhem.