About preparing migration towards gtk4

Michael Weghorn m.weghorn at posteo.de
Mon Jan 4 06:51:17 UTC 2021

On 19/12/2020 16.22, Jan-Marek Glogowski wrote:
> Just a reminder. The migration guide starts with "... you should first
> get your application to build and work with the latest minor release in
> the 3.24 series.", and we just updated the baseline from 3.18 to 3.20.
>
> So I don't see much of a point for this cleanup in the current gtk3
> subdir. If you want to spend time on it, create a gtk4 dir with the gtk3
> content and start a port with a cleanup and gtk3 3.24. I guess a lot of
> compatibility stuff is still missing from the older gtk3 versions.
>
> That would also be my suggestion for a qt6 port ;-)

I haven't looked at Qt 6 in more detail so far, but from what I recall,
it was claimed that migrating from Qt 5 should be rather
straightforward, so it might be worth *checking* whether sharing code
between qt5 and qt6 (with some ifdefs, similar to how it used to be for
the gtk2/gtk3 case) makes sense, to avoid code duplication.

(The Gtk 3 -> Gtk 4 case may be different, though, since there are many
fundamental changes in how Gtk works.)