Are there ideas for client-server model.

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Tue Jul 20 21:32:31 UTC 2021

On 18/07/21 10:58, Stef Bon wrote:

> Op za 17 jul. 2021 om 15:54 schreef Marc <Marc at f1-outsourcing.eu
> <mailto:Marc at f1-outsourcing.eu>>:
>
>     >
>     > I'm willing to work on this, but since Collabora has already
>     written an
>     > online server, is it possible to port that code to libreoffice?
>     >

>     I very much would like to see that the 'collabora' code returns back
>     to a libre office repository. I think that lots of committers there
>     are would prefer working on the libre office repo, instead of the
>     collabra. I think it is even weird that collabra people are posting
>     video's on youtube and calling them libre office online.
>

> I agree. It looks more like a fork to me they created. And actually
> creating a breach/distance with the original libreoffice code and community.
> This is not done as I see it. But I have to be frank: I haven't studied
> the code of LibreOffice and the code written by Colabora yet.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you'll find a LARGE minority of
the code contributed to LibreOffice, and GoOO before it, was written by
people who now work for Collabora.

You're right saying it's a fork, and it was done to create a distance
from the LibreOffice code. But it's a bit difficult to create a breach
with the community, seeing as Collabora are - and have been since before
even LibreOffice existed - a very big part of the LibreOffice community.

It's unfortunately the age-old problem - how are the contributors to
Open Source supposed to eat, if they don't find some way of monetising
their contributions ... (and if they don't eat, LibreOffice will die for
lack of contributors!!!)

Cheers,
Wol