How to create a lockedCanvas in MSWord?

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Tue Jul 27 11:46:05 UTC 2021

Hi Miklos,

Miklos Vajna schrieb am 27.07.2021 um 08:56:
> Hi Regina,
>
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 02:21:51AM +0200, Regina Henschel <rb.henschel at t-online.de> wrote:
>> does someone know, how to create a document in MSWord, which uses a
>> lockedCanvas? Or is that only possible via macro? It would be good to be
>> able to generate own test documents.
>
> My understanding is that lockedCanvas is a workaround, because the
> drawingML impl in PowerPoint 2007 was ready but not in Word 2007. So
> when you copy a set of shapes from PowerPoint to Word in that version,
> Word can render but not edit those shapes, locking them down.

That makes sense. It explains the unusual attributes and elements.

> I think 2010 and newer versions don't have this behavior anymore, but
> the lockedCanvas element is now with us forever.

I have only got Word2010 and Word365. They have nothing in the UI to
generate a lockedCanvas, and I find only API explanations on Microsoft
website.

> I attach a sample I just created this way in MSO 2007.

Thank you. If I open that in Word365 and resave it with "keep
compatibility" enabled, it keeps the lockedCanvas. It is not possible to
edit the content, but changing the anchor type is possible. That is
sufficient for my upcoming unit test.

Kind regards
Regina