ANN: renaming of master branch to "main" for core repository and submodules (dictionaries, help, translations)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at centrum.cz
Wed Mar 17 19:45:23 UTC 2021

On Wednesday 17 of March 2021, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> as requested and announced in previous ESC-minutes and infra-call
> minutes, master branch will be renamed for the LibreOffice core
> repositories and the submodules used by LibreOffice (dictionaries,
> help, translations).
>
> Current plan is to do the switchover on April 1st
> If you have objections to this date or the plan laid out below (for
> current changes please see also
> https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/3442 please raise your
> concerns ASAP)

 I disagree with the plan. Git uses master, so we should stick with that. And
by 'git uses master' I mean that if you check out the git repo of the git
tool, you'll get the master branch, there's no main branch, and if you build
it and run 'git init', it'll create a master branch. The option for the
default branch name was added 9 months ago, so they have had plenty of time
for switching, and if they haven't, then maybe we shouldn't either. We
already have this running joke of breaking every tooling, and I don't see a
reason why risk it here.

 And that brings me to the non-technical part of this, because I really don't
see the reason for this. Is it written down somewhere? I find the ESC minutes
unclear on the motivation. The Redmine motivation link is to some RFC-like
document that talks about "master-slave", but it does not mention "master" on
its own a single time. Even the recommendations there refer
to 'term "master-slave"' and not just "master". The other Redmine ticket
links to GitHub, but why should we care what some other repository provider
does? (I mean, I understand GitHub is based in a country where they currently
have all kinds of problems with this, but do we need to take a part in
that?). And presumably the intention is not being compatible with new
repositories on GitHub, that wouldn't make much sense.

 Finally, even if we assume that it would be a good idea to avoid the use of
the word 'master' altogether because one of the 20 meanings a dictionary
gives is bad, what's the plan for all the other 20059 ('git grep -i master |
wc -l') other uses in LibreOffice? We have master passwords, master slides,
master styles and so on, and mind you, that goes as far as changing the ODF
format, is the plan to change all those too? And if not, is there any plan
for when somebody points that out as hypocrisy? And before any of this is
done, shouldn't first be something done about those 487 occurences of the
actually problematic word, which would be way simpler and actually do
something related to the topic?

 The way I see it, if this is supposed to fix something, then it actually
doesn't, and it can create technical problems. If it's supposed to do
something else, it's not up to us to solve somebody else's problem, and it
can backfire.

 PS: I can't miss the irony of renaming 'master' in 'git', when it's the
latter word that's an actual insult.

--
 Lubos Lunak