ANN: renaming of master branch to "main" for core repository and submodules (dictionaries, help, translations)

Thorsten Behrens thb at libreoffice.org
Thu Mar 18 16:01:52 UTC 2021

Hey Julien,

julien2412 wrote:
> Thorsten Behrens-6 wrote
> > The reason is, that language evolves, and bad habits (or metaphors) of
> > the past shouldn't be persisted, if we know they are offensive to
> > others.
>
> Slavery itself shouldn't persist (badfully in some regions it still exists)
> but let's not confound the slavery itself with some words used in different
> contexts.

Well. I'm not sure it matters much what you or me read into that word.

So is there any harm in making that change? Others are doing the work,
why would we refuse a change that some feel strongly about?

We're happily accepting changes that re-format code, translate,
spell-check it etc - one could argue those are cosmetic too, and not
worth it.

I'm therefore much in favour of remaining to be welcoming to change,
and positively accept patches from everyone (unless there's hard
technical reasons to decline).

All the best,

-- Thorsten