ESC meeting agenda: 2021-03-25 16:00 Berlin time - renaming - a serious tongue-in-cheek proposal

antlists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Wed Mar 24 18:45:43 UTC 2021

On 24/03/2021 16:54, Miklos Vajna wrote:

> * master branch rename (Cloph)
>    + https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/3442
>    + see mailing list thread at
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2021-March/087045.html

Given that this is all being driven by a parochial American problem, and
I suspect to a large extent much of the disquiet is the Rest of the
World getting pissed off with American Cultural Imperialism (I'm not
accusing them of *intentionally* doing it, I'm just saying that is what
it is / is perceived as) can we look at the fact that LO is a European
project, and base our actions on that.

1) It started out life as a German product.
2) It now has a French name.
3) I think it's based in England now?

I'd like to see some Italian. Renaming "master" to "maestro" might not
be enough of a change. We could always do "primadonna" which is
understandable in most languages, but it is a bit long. For those who
get the Rossini, my favourite would be "gatti" (or whatever the singular
form is).

There's plenty of precedent for this - kernel hackers know all about
"make mrproper". And of course, gatti is appropriate for Open Source :-)

The *perceived* big downside is, if we plough our own furrow, we're on
our own if things go pear-shaped. Personally, I'd like to think the git
guys would be keen to help a Poster Child doing its own thing, as an
example that you *can* do your own thing and it all works.

(And as a Brit, I really don't see why furriners should bend over
backwards to accomodate our refusal to be decent international language
neighbours ...)

Chers,
Wol