Value range of c3DSpecularAmt

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Sun Jan 30 22:28:09 UTC 2022

Hi all, hi Miklos,

MS Office uses value 80000/65536 ≈ 1.22 for attribute c3DSpecularAmt.
The specification reads, "c3DSpecularAmt (4 bytes): A value of type
FixedPoint, as specified in [MS-OSHARED] section 2.2.1.6, that specifies
the ratio of incident to specular light that is reflected on a shape."
The corresponding ODF attribute is draw:extrusion-specularity. That has
a data type zeroToHundredPercent. So we cannot write the imported 122%
to ODF. But currently LibreOffice writes 122% to file and so produces
invalid files.

When the shape is rendered, the product of light intensity and
specularity is converted to a gray color for the 3D-Scene attribute
D3DMaterialSpecularIntensity. Because the light intensity is often
smaller than 100% a value for c3DSpecularAmt larger than 100% can be
used meaningful.

The range to [0%,100] has been introduced with [Office-2509] for ODF
1.2. In ODF 1.1 the data type was "percent".

What to do?

My suggestion is: Allow larger values than 100% in LibreOffice. Clamp
the value to 100% in case of writing ODF 1.2 and 1.3 strict and use
loext in case of ODF 1.2 and 1.3 extended. And write to ODF TC to
re-enable values larger than 100% for ODF 1.4.

What do you think?

[1] https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-2509

Kind regards,
Regina