Moving to LibreOffice 8?

Julien Nabet serval2412 at yahoo.fr
Mon Mar 27 20:13:18 UTC 2023

> Moving to LibreOffice 8 (instead of 7.6) makes sense for marketing
> purposes, as media is looking at LibreOffice as the real innovator in
> the open source office suite market, and the feeling of journalists is
> that we are forever stuck at 7.x.
>
> We all know that the next version will not include any significant
> innovation which can justify the change of version, apart from the new
> build system for Windows and the availability of LibreOffice for Arm
> processors on Windows (which has not been announced)...
Hello,

Using LO 8 would attract some light of media for some time ok but
they'll conclude quite quickly the same as you've just said:

"no significant innovation which can justify the change of version" so
we would have just obeyed to marketing rules for them.

IMHO, we should use 7.6 for the next major release or if marketing
absolutely wants media to talk about LO, we may also partly use "Ubuntu"
style:

LibreOffice <2 last digits of the year>.<the month number with 2
digits>.<minor version>

=> so 7.6.0 would be 23.05.0 (since a major version is about every 6
months and 7.5.0 has been released in November 2022).

At least, it's clear and predictable, except after 2099 but it lets us a
bit of time to prepare oneself to the 4 digits year :-)

Anyway, don't bother too much, there'll always be people complaining and
people ok with the decision. The pb is that even if complaining people
corresponds to 1%, you'll hear about them more than the OK people.

Julien