Moving to LibreOffice 8?

Italo Vignoli italo at vignoli.org
Mon Mar 27 21:09:07 UTC 2023

On 27/03/23 22:13, Julien Nabet wrote:

> Using LO 8 would attract some light of media for some time ok but
> they'll conclude quite quickly the same as you've just said:

> "no significant innovation which can justify the change of version" so
> we would have just obeyed to marketing rules for them.

Don't give too much credit to the media, they desperatedly need news so
they will stick to our message. No one will dig deeply enough to get to
that conclusion, and those who might do are our friends and as such
would support the narrative.

> IMHO, we should use 7.6 for the next major release or if marketing
> absolutely wants media to talk about LO, we may also partly use "Ubuntu"
> style:

> LibreOffice <2 last digits of the year>.<the month number with 2
> digits>.<minor version>

> => so 7.6.0 would be 23.05.0 (since a major version is about every 6
> months and 7.5.0 has been released in November 2022).

This would have been my choice since years, but it looks like there are
technical restrictions which do not allow to use such a numbering scheme
without some coding.
Italo Vignoli - italo at vignoli.org
mobile/signal +39.348.5653829
hangout/jabber italo.vignoli at gmail.com