Moving to LibreOffice 8?

Thorsten Behrens thb at libreoffice.org
Mon Mar 27 22:33:33 UTC 2023

Hi Italo, all,

Italo Vignoli wrote:
> On 27/03/23 22:13, Julien Nabet wrote:
> > => so 7.6.0 would be 23.05.0 (since a major version is about every 6
> > months and 7.5.0 has been released in November 2022).
>
> This would have been my choice since years, but it looks like there are
> technical restrictions which do not allow to use such a numbering scheme
> without some coding.

23.08 (and 24.02) I guess could be the next versions then.

Changing version naming schemes always creates extra work (I suspect
not only for developers, but also for marketing & documentation), but
perhaps it's indeed time to make the move?

I'm not aware the required technical tweaks are prohibitive (of course
we need to listen to feedback from in particular downstream Linux
packagers), and it would make our life a lot easier in the future, for
e.g. switching to a rolling release model.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten