Gsoc 2023 (Libreoffice Calc): extend calc function pane, request more info (links to documentation/ related source code file) related to calc formula

Potato Chick potatochick2020 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 14:50:20 UTC 2023

Hi there,

I hope this email finds you well. My name is Tsun Nok Cheung
(potatochick2020), and I am currently working on my application for GSOC
2023. I had already submitted a proposal, But I think I should include more
technical details in my proposal and provide a more accurate and precise
approach instead of a broad direction only.

I was hoping you could assist me with some additional information regarding
the LibreOffice Calc formula. I am looking for any documentation or links
related to Calc formula or any related files that would be helpful.

Currently, I am working on a proposal to extend the function pane(
https://bug-attachments.documentfoundation.org/attachment.cgi?id=116906),
enabling a CSS-editor-like experience for Calc formula, similar to the F12
dev tool in most browsers. I attempted to search for Calc function in the
documentation, but it seems to only show the details of each Calc function,
rather than the Calc function itself. I would like to know more details
about:

- The Calc formula/text that is typed in each cell, any documentation/class
files. For example, if I type =SUM(A2+A3) in A1, what class/formula will
this =SUM(A2+A3) formula be stored in?

- I believe there is some sort of parsing that happens when dealing with
Excel formulas, such as =IF(A2>A3,IF(A3>A4,"true","false"),"hi"). I believe
there is a parsing period to separate this long formula into probably an
array of classes related to these formula blocks of cells, references, and
values. Is there any related documentation about this process?

Thank you so much for your help and continued support of the open-source
project. LibreOffice is an amazing software, and I am grateful to be a part
of its community.

Best regards,
Tsun Nok Cheung