Firebird not experimental

Thorsten Behrens thb at libreoffice.org
Mon Aug 26 21:28:14 UTC 2024

Hola Juan,

Juan C. Sanz wrote:
> In considering the above, I propose to the ESC (or whomever it may concern):
>
>  * Take Firebird out of experimental mode. Although it is not strictly
>    necessary for it to be the default database, I think it would be
>    preferable.
>
>  * Decouple HSQLDB migration from the existence or not of Firebird.
>
>  * Support and promote the use of Base as well as assist the
>    development of Base into a reliable and modern database (support
>    this long overdue bidding process).

The general idea is a good one IMO.

But please be aware that the ESC does not command any development
resources, but instead is a group of peers discussing the technical
status of the project (and sometimes manages to find volunteers to
work on critical bugs).

So asking the ESC to 'assist the development of Base into a reliable
and modern database' is likely not going to get us very far. What
could help, is drafting an ESC tender proposal in the wiki, with what
you have in mind (if it can be sufficiently narrowed-down to be costed
& tendered). Tendering from TDF though is still stalled indefinitely,
so that also might need some patience.

As often in FOSS land, your best bet to get stuff done - is starting
the work yourself! ;)

Cheers,

-- Thorsten