assist

Michael Weghorn m.weghorn at posteo.de
Sat Jun 1 22:05:53 UTC 2024

Hi Marisane, and welcome!

(More comments on specific aspects below.)

On 2024-06-01 19:27, Marisane Moruthanyana wrote:
> I trust that I have come to the right list.
>
> I have just installed LibreOffice after being advised to do so.
>
> I am challenged to understand some of its features and the interface in
> general.
>
> However, I have, to some extent, established how to navigate its interface.
>
> I am a totally blind guy.

This mailing list is focused on topics related to LibreOffice
development, i.e. meant primarily for LibreOffice (and extension)
developers.

There is also another mailing list for discussing topics related to
LibreOffice accessibility (accessibility at global.libreoffice.org), where
questions like yours about how to use LibreOffice with a screen reader
are likely to reach more people who can provide helpful input. It is
mentioned (and includes a link where you can subscribe) on this website:

I've added that mailing list to the recipients now - and suggest to
continue this discussion there instead of on the development mailing list.

> My challenge is to know how to navigate the table.
>
> 1. I am struggling. JAWS or NVDA just says blank, blank, blank where it
> should be saying table with, for example, two rows and three columns.
>
> What is going on?
>
> Do I need to install screen reader scripts, for example JAWS's or NVDA's?
>
> How do I do that?
>
> Where do I get those?

The way that tables/table cells are presented by the screen reader is
primarily up to the screen reader, so this might potentially need a
change in the screen reader if it doesn't work as it should.
I'm less experienced with JAWS, but NVDA does provide a LibreOffice app
module, which is however already part of the standard installation.

However, I just tested that with LibrOffice Writer 24.2.3 and NVDA
2023.3.4. For me, NVDA announces e.g. "table with two rows, two columns"
when keyboard focus moves into a table in a Writer document. So does the
Orca screen reader on Linux. (I haven't explicitly checked JAWS.)

Note that the screen reader might allow configuring the behavior in its
settings.

Did you also try that with Writer, or did you use Calc or another
LibreOffice module? (I'm personally not sure whether it would
necessarily be useful for a screen reader to announce the amount of rows
and columns that a Calc spreadsheet has, as most of these will be unused.)

> 2. I am also struggling to add font face and size, let alone reading it.
>
> I use JAWS+F or NVDA+F to read the font face and size, but I get nothing.
>
> Each screen reader, depending on which is active, just echoes zero point.
>
> What is going on?
>
> How do I set or add and/or read the font face and size in LibreOffice?

This also works for me in a quick test with Writer with the
above-mentioned LibreOffice and NVDA versions. What versions of NVDA and
LibreOffice are you using?

> My job is working with material production.
>
> As a result, in my view, I should know how to navigate a table after
> creating it.

Tab and Shift+Tab can currently be used to navigate one cell
forward/backward in tables.
Screen reader-specific table navigation currently don't work, will need
work on both, LibreOffice and the screen reader to make it a reality.

> Further, I should be able to add the font face and size in accordance
> with my visually impaired students in order to effectively serve their
> educational needs when enlarging their documents.

Changing the font and font size is possible either by defining that in a
style and assigning that one (which is generally the preferred approach)
or by manually setting the font and font size, e.g. in Writer's
formatting toolbar, which can be reached by pressing F6 until the
formatting toolbar gets focus. Once the toolbar has focus, you can move
between its items using the Tab key, which should bring you to the "Font
Name" and "Font Size" comboboxes that can be used to change those.

Are you running into any particular issues with these? Or is anything
else missing?

> I use LibreOffice after hours when I am at home as I do not have Ms
> Office on my home machine.
>
> It is nearly the same as Word® and that makes my work easier.
>
> I just need to understand how to deal with tables and fonts.
>
> Others will come later as and when a need arises.
>
> Please assist me.

Does the above help? Or is anything else still missing?

Regards,
Michael