[libreoffice-design] Re: behavior of new functions XLOOKUP and XMATCH

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at documentfoundation.org
Wed May 15 07:06:26 UTC 2024

Re-adding the dev ML; Regina's full reply at
https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/design/2024/msg00045.html

On 15.05.24 2:03 AM, Regina Henschel wrote:
> The problem is, what should be the output, when the user sets Match_mode 2
> together with Search_mode 2 or -2.
Excel returns #VALUE! for the combination =XLOOKUP(C3;A$1:A$3;B$1:B$3;"INV";2;2)
while we do some processing.

On 14.05.24 5:04 AM, Mike Kaganski wrote:
> Emitting error is the only sane way here.Absolutely.

It is not some kind of interruptive error box but a typical way to give feedback
on typos or for unspecified content. Silently switching to some other way of
processing is almost impossible to understand for users. And I cannot follow the
arguments that no error message makes the handling easier.

If you want, we can run a poll what users prefer.