GSoC: Libreoffice Theme (week - 1 update)

Sahil Gautam printfdebugging at gmail.com
Mon May 27 03:04:49 UTC 2024

Hi, the coding period starts today.
The project is about not depending on the OS for colors and implement "Themes"
in Libreoffice. So as per my understanding (opinions invited), all the `Set...Color()`
calls in the `bool UpdateSettings(AllSettings& rSettings)` functions, which take
colors from the OS and put them into the `StyleSettings` are to be removed, and colors
should be passed to the widget toolkits, which were read from the expert configuration.

In GTK, it's done by adding a provider to the screen, and in QT/kf5, it's done by creating
a subclass of QStyle (QProxyStyle). For Windows and OSx, I don't know it yet.

So this would include defining UI elements from the theming perspective like (menubar),
(rest of the application - the notebook bar) etc.

First I will focus on getting the colors right, so I will add more entries like menubar etc
to the tools > options > Application Colors dialog, and once colors are done right for all
the platforms, creating a dedicated dialog for adding gradient support or background image
on the notebookbar etc shouldn't be that difficult.

I will be setting the milestones by the end of this week, as sometimes I feel that it's
not 350h of coding, more like 220h of coding and 130h of compiling ;). So in this week
probably, I will get a reality check of the scale (as my summer holidays have started :D).

Sahil Gautam