Bringing "dynamic array" to ODF

Kohei Yoshida kohei at libreoffice.org
Fri Sep 6 01:53:08 UTC 2024

Hi Regina,

On 8/24/24 10:18, Regina Henschel wrote:

> What do you think?

Just my not-so-useful 2 cents.

It is my understanding that this dynamic array feature is not based on a
static set of functions that support the feature (such as SORT), but it
can be retrofitted to an existing function such as MMULT which
traditionally didn't support dynamic output range... (?)

If that is the case, specifying the flag per cell makes sense to me.  I
believe, based on your analysis, Excel uses a similar flag stored in
cells to indicate the presence of the feature i.e. "cm".  The attribute
you are proposing "table:matrix-is-dynamic" is meant to be mapped to
this flag, so it looks fine to me.

If I were to suggest one thing, maybe calling the attribute
"table:dynamic" would make the "dynamic" token itself reusable in other
contexts.  If we call it "matrix-is-dynamic", that token itself is
pretty much usable only in matrix related features.  if the attribute is
just called "dynamic", it may be usable in other things such as
database-ranges, etc.  In fact, there is already a token named
"dynamic". Maybe just reuse this token?  I don't feel too strongly about
this, BTW.

Whatever it is worth...

Kohei