Bringing "dynamic array" to ODF

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Sun Sep 8 07:24:33 UTC 2024

On 06/09/2024 02:53, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
> If I were to suggest one thing, maybe calling the attribute
> "table:dynamic" would make the "dynamic" token itself reusable in other
> contexts.  If we call it "matrix-is-dynamic", that token itself is
> pretty much usable only in matrix related features.  if the attribute is
> just called "dynamic", it may be usable in other things such as
> database-ranges, etc.  In fact, there is already a token named
> "dynamic". Maybe just reuse this token?  I don't feel too strongly about
> this, BTW.

Just to throw something in to the mix, I don't know whether the terms
are used in a similar way or not, you've almost certainly come across me
talking about MultiValue databases (aka Pick).

Dynamic arrays are the fundamental underpinning of this database!

In the context of MultiValue, a dynamic array is n-dimensional, you
don't declare it, and elements spring into existence by assigning to
them (sometimes called a sparse array, I believe).

I believe Microsoft calls it a "chaptered rowset" in SQL server. I was
hoping to use that to map MultiValue to spreadsheets.

As a very quick databasic example

DYNARR = "" ;* Create an empty initialised variable
DYNARR<4,3,6> = "This is an element" ;* Put that text in row 4, column
3, sub-division 6

Make of that what you will ...

Cheers,
Wol