plz Improve this outdated and not thought trough installer / if possible libreoffice light

Mike Kaganski mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 11 03:29:55 UTC 2024

On 11.09.2024 8:18, Mike Kaganski wrote:

> On 11.09.2024 1:32, T N wrote:
>> or do you seriously belive that someone would like to set the default
>> action to all exept to doc and rtf files and would rather keep
>> editing them in wordpad. I know how that was thought up, only check
>> what is not associated by others as default. but you may should think
>> again and make an exaption for wordpad!
>
> RTF is very much obsolete file format - its development discontinued
> by its author (Microsoft) in 2009, which means it doesn't get all the
> newer features available in their later releases. Same for DOC. And it
> makes no sense to promote their use as the primary file formats.
> Windows provides very handy "always open using this app" way of
> associating any file type with a chosen program, so I see no need to
> expand the list of associations that we should do in the installer.

Oh - I shouldn't write from memory. The "Microsoft Word Documents" is of
course including RTF and DOC, and I simply misunderstood your concern -
you likely point to the fact that the checkbox is unchecked by default.

Still, it's associated on your system, and it's not our responsibility
to decide if Wordpad is good or bad for the task. No, there's no need to
make it different. If user needs it, they are free to check the
checkbox, or to make the association later in system settings.