GSoC24: Final Report Adding Histogram Support

Devansh Varshney varshney.devansh614 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 09:30:21 UTC 2024

The past four months have been some of the most instructive times I've ever
had.
I wasn't supposed to be part of GSoC24 but somewhere in the past, it was
gone.

The first PR of mine which got merged was for the Phoenix Framework
<https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix> last year and a couple of
other projects, and I realize that my thoughts aren't organized. What I
also experienced is not all the communities are supportive of beginners, so
I kept looking and ended with LibreOffice.

At first, Ilmari guided, me so much, and he suggested applying, and now I
am writing this Final report mail. The initial support that the community
showed is what I didn't find in other projects.

>From the project proposal onwards, my mentor Tomaž helped me to maneuver
through how should I approach it. He let me do things by myself. The
Histogram is there but the bigger milestone which is OOXML and ODF support
is still not in place.

With OOXML what MSO has done is they have laid out an entirely different
structure for the newly added charts from the MSO2016. Hence, we first have
to add support for the parsing and writing of these new chart types, which
will make it possible for other new chart types to work with LO easily.

Saving and opening of files are remaining, and the Pareto and other newly
added charts have to be completed.

*Report -*
https://devanshvarshney.com/libreoffice-google-summer-of-code-final-report

--