[Libva] VC-1 status

Sat Jan 29 08:38:00 PST 2011

Hi there,

over the last several days I tried to get hardware decoding running on my server - meanwhile I succeeded with H264, but
VC-1 is still only software decoding @ 15fps on my i3-530 (which means as much as it is broken to me).

As software engineer I had a look on the latest development and noticed that the VC-1 support seems to be on the way
(which is great). One of the latest patches looked somehow suspicious to me - as far as I read about it the GMA HD
within the i3 CPU should be capable of VC-1 hardware decoding (at least about every Windows user reports about
successful decoding of VC-1 encoded HD material). Nevertheless, the patch just excludes the whole IRONLAKE-branch and
enables VC-1 to the SANDYBRIDGE-CPUs only.

This somehow lets me guess I just threw money out of the window for my 3 month old system, since it will be never ever
able to decode that "nice" codec out of Seattle without an additional Nvidia/ATI-board (and thereby by adding another
10-15 Watt to the power consumption), which instantly destroys the whole platform decision I made some month ago.

Is there anybody out there who has an answer to my thoughts?

Christian from Germany