[Libva] using libva video compression on system with no monitor

Gwenole Beauchesne gb.devel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 21:10:48 PDT 2012

2012/8/16 Xiang, Haihao <haihao.xiang at intel.com>:
> On Thu, 2012-08-16 at 10:25 +0200, Gwenole Beauchesne wrote:
>> Hi,

>> > Master is enough.
>>
>> Master requires "root" privileges.
>
> It works for me with just my user name.

You only need to be authenticated to submit drm commands, you don't
necessarily need master privs for that. Master privs requires root.

> xhh at xhh-snb32:~/graphics/ex/vaapi/libva/test/vainfo$ ./vainfo
> error: can't connect to X server!    <------ Without X server

This is what I am saying. If you don't have an X server running, then
a simple user can get authenticated, should he have the correct access
rights to the device. In this case, you are authenticated and you
don't call into drmAuthMagic(), unlike what you suggested.