[Libva] Crash/Exception/MemoryCorruption when decoding with libva

Timo Rothenpieler timo at rothenpieler.org
Thu Feb 14 07:48:12 PST 2013

This started yesterday, i suddenly wasn't able anymore to play my HD
channels, as XBMC just keept crashing.
The crashlog always pointed into libva intel driver, most of the time
into BeginPicture, asserting that there is no obj_surface.

First i thought it's caused by the staging version of libva i'm using,
so i downgraded back to the latest release versions, but it's still the
same.

I did not touch any software for weeks before this, and playing videos
has allways worked fine, and yesterday it suddenly stopped working
completely.
First I only wasn't able to play high-res h264 videos, and mpeg2 still
worked fine. But now even SD mpeg2 causes all diffrent kinds of
misbehaviour, most of them ending in a crash of the playing program,
some even in a GPU hang.

Is there any chance this might be a software problem, or is my hardware
screwed? And if so, which part is most likely the problem?