[Libva] Crash/Exception/MemoryCorruption when decoding with libva

Timo Rothenpieler timo at rothenpieler.org
Fri Feb 15 06:12:55 PST 2013

So.. I have replaced every single piece of software, tried dozens of
diffrent combinations of player/libva/intel-driver versions.
It's always the same problem: The moment something tries to use libva
for video-decoding, it just starts to crash randomly, always pointing to
a diffrent function.

Sometimes it works for a few seconds, but then it starts to do weird
stuff and finaly crashes.
Even glibc sometimes complains about memory corruption when using libva.

Everything except accelerated video-decoding still works fine, even
heavy OpenGL workload on the GPU.

It seems like something somehow damaged the video-decoder inside the
CPU/GPU. I'll try to get it replaced soon and hope it's not something on
the mainboard.

Is it possible that using staging-libva for video-encoding-tests might
have damaged the video de/encoding unit in the GPU?