[Libva] Fwd: RE: libva-vdpau-driver - kernel: traps: vainfo[20535] trap divide error

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 17:31:47 UTC 2016

Hi all,

On 3 June 2016 at 18:08, James Feeney <james at nurealm.net> wrote:
> Hey Victor
>
> On 06/02/2016 11:09 AM, Víctor M. Jáquez L. wrote:
>> I would say that, according to you card (Radeon HD 4000), you should use
>> libva-xvba-driver, not vpdau.
>>
>> Sadly, both and libva-vdpau-driver[1] libva-xvba-driver[2] are not maintained
>> anymore. You are on your own for now.
>
> Thanks for the note.  I wasn't sure what to expect with this driver.
>
> Actually, the libva-xvba-driver claims to be only for use with the proprietary
> catalyst-libgl, where I am wanting to use the open radeon driver.  It might
> still work fine, but I did not look into it.
>
> As I understand, from the Arch wiki Hardware video acceleration page, the
> libva-vdpau-driver only creates a VA-API front-end on top of libvdpau and
> mesa-vdpau, and fortunately, the VDPAU interface seem to work fine by itself
> with the HD 4000.  So the VA-API interface would have just been "icing on the
> cake" and is not essential here.  I won't worry about it then.

Mesa provides separate, non-wrapper, vdpau/vaapi/omx drivers. Whether
your is supported or not it's a matter of a trivial test ;-)

In this case - RV710, is R700 generation hardware [1] which should
support MPEG4 AVC and VC1 [2] regardless of the API. I'm leaning that
one should update the table to feature VAAPI [3]. If you spot any
mistakes please update the Archlinux/X.org wiki.

Thanks
Emil

[1] https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/#index5h2
[2] https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/#index8h2