[LightDM] 0.9.3 on oneiric: login then framebuffer screen with "x" cross-heir pointer

Gilbert Sullivan whirly.gig at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 29 06:10:35 PDT 2011

On 08/29/2011 03:29 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> After entering my credentials, I get to a framebuffer screen with the
> boot messages but with the
> http://gdesklets.de/develbook/gfx/cursor_x.png pointer. If I move my
> mouse, it moves with it.

I started seeing the same thing with LightDM in Debian testing this past
weekend (after having had it work properly for a few days). The affected
systems were writing large .xsession error logs (1/2 megabyte).

My users didn't want to start the session manually from the terminal, so
I've removed LightDM and gone back to XDM. (Also, in Debian testing
there was an XDM / task-xfce-desktop interdependency that was causing
some problems with package management (aptitude) after I removed XDM.
Going back to XDM seems to have eliminated those issues as well.

I am NOT seeing the problem with LightDM starting the Xfce session on
systems that were installed back when GDM (version 2) was the default DM
for Xfce. But all of the systems on which XDM was made a dependency of
Xfce have had to be reverted to XDM.