[LightDM] 0.9.3 on oneiric: login then framebuffer screen with "x" cross-heir pointer

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Mon Aug 29 06:21:29 PDT 2011

[this is off-topic on lightdm list, sorry]
On lun., 2011-08-29 at 09:10 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

> My users didn't want to start the session manually from the terminal, so
> I've removed LightDM and gone back to XDM. (Also, in Debian testing
> there was an XDM / task-xfce-desktop interdependency that was causing
> some problems with package management (aptitude) after I removed XDM.
> Going back to XDM seems to have eliminated those issues as well.

You can safely remove task-xfce-desktop, it's just a metapackage which
pulls the Xfce task. Next upload will switch xdm to lightdm.

> I am NOT seeing the problem with LightDM starting the Xfce session on
> systems that were installed back when GDM (version 2) was the default DM
> for Xfce. But all of the systems on which XDM was made a dependency of
> Xfce have had to be reverted to XDM.

This is weird, but without debug info (especially logs) from lightdm,
I'm not sure one can do anything.

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis