[LightDM] 0.9.3 on oneiric: login then framebuffer screen with "x" cross-heir pointer

Gilbert Sullivan whirly.gig at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 29 07:18:06 PDT 2011

On 08/29/2011 09:21 AM, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> [this is off-topic on lightdm list, sorry]
> On lun., 2011-08-29 at 09:10 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
>>
>> My users didn't want to start the session manually from the terminal, so
>> I've removed LightDM and gone back to XDM. (Also, in Debian testing
>> there was an XDM / task-xfce-desktop interdependency that was causing
>> some problems with package management (aptitude) after I removed XDM.
>> Going back to XDM seems to have eliminated those issues as well.
>
> You can safely remove task-xfce-desktop, it's just a metapackage which
> pulls the Xfce task. Next upload will switch xdm to lightdm.

I did remove task-xfce-desktop on those systems. It was after I did that
that those systems stopped loading Xfce.

And, even though I updated aptitude, it didn't switch from xdm to
lightdm. When I re-installed task-xfce-desktop, xdm was pulled as a
dependency.

I wonder if there's a problem just with these specific installations
that is peculiar to the images I used for the installation -- an i386
and an AMD64 image from about 08/17. Is something like that possible.

With the problems I've seen with these two particular systems, I'm
tempted to re-install them both from scratch.

Am I to take it that, if I do that now (netinst), the xfce desktop will
pull LightDM as the default DM?

>> I am NOT seeing the problem with LightDM starting the Xfce session on
>> systems that were installed back when GDM (version 2) was the default DM
>> for Xfce. But all of the systems on which XDM was made a dependency of
>> Xfce have had to be reverted to XDM.
>
> This is weird, but without debug info (especially logs) from lightdm,
> I'm not sure one can do anything.

Yes, I understand. Unfortunately, I didn't think to collect the logs,
and I wound up purging the packages (and the information I need to
correct the problem) on both of the systems that were behaving this
before I thought about it. It was the weekend, and everyone was tired
and cranky.

;-)

BTW, when I look in aptitude on the older installations, they also show
xdm as a dependency of task-xfce-desktop, but the metapackage is not
installed on them.

Best regards,
Gilbert