[LightDM] Changing the appearance of the login box

Jason Hsu jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com
Fri Feb 10 11:28:37 PST 2012

I'm the founder and lead developer of the lightweight Linux distro Swift Linux.  I'm currently in the process of switching from the old antiX Linux base to the new Linux Mint Debian Edition base.

The new Swift Linux will be using LightDM instead of SLiM.  I've found that replacing LMDE's default GDM display manager with SLiM disables many functions (like audio).  Restoring these functions means messing around with groups and permissions.  Like GDM, LightDM enables these functions.  However, LightDM is substantially lighter than GDM.  Given that Swift Linux needs to fit on a CD without sacrificing LibreOffice, every MB counts.

What I miss from SLiM is the better-looking login box.  The default login box of LightDM is ugly.

How do I change the appearance of the login box?  I'd like to make it translucent, shrink the session box, and eliminate the icon and the computer name from the display.

--
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com>