[LightDM] Changing the appearance of the login box

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 17:11:20 PST 2012

Hi Jason,

LightDM runs different 'greeters' to provide the user interface.
You're probably referring to the default GTK+ greeter [1].

You have a number of options here:
- You can write your own greeter that has the UI set up as you like.
- You can fork/patch the GTK greeter to have the changes you want.
- You can modify the GTK greeter to have the changes you want.  This
greeter is being used by a few projects but it's not being actively
developed.  (It was intended to be just an example).  New contributors
would be very welcome, you just need to check if the users generally
agree on the same direction.
- You can switch to another greeter.  LXDE worked on the GtkBuilder
based greeter [2] which can be reconfigured using a GtkBuilder file.
There's also a webkit base greeter [3] which is being used by the
Elementary project.  There's also two Qt greeters [4] [5].

[1] https://launchpad.net/lightdm-gtk-greeter
[2] http://lxde.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=lxde/ldm-gtk-builder-greeter;a=summary
[3] https://launchpad.net/lightdm-webkit-greeter
[4] https://launchpad.net/lightdm-qt-greeter