[LightDM] How to setup guest account

Dominik George dominik.george at teckids.org
Tue Jul 1 00:11:14 PDT 2014

(please keep my address in replies as I am not subscribed to the list,
thanks!)

Hi,

we are running a netboot environment with root on NFS with LightDM as display
manager and XFCE as desktop, all on Debian sid.

That works great; however, I am all puzzled about how to set up the guest
account. What I want is a guest account that sets up a complete user home in
tmpfs (e.g. /tmp) on login and behaves just like a normal account from there
on. I believe that LightDM supports that, but I have a few questions:

 - What is the name of the guest user?
 - Do I have to create the guest user as a system user first?

What I _believe_ is that I have to create a system user that is called -
exactly - "guest", and write a guest-session script that does the user home
setup. However, I do not find documentation about whether this is correct or
not.

Any hints, please?

Cheers,
Nik

--
Dominik George (Vorstandsvorsitzender)
Teckids e.V. - Erkunden, Entdecken, Erfinden.