[LightDM] Cache and config files in /var/lib/lightdm

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 15:26:01 PDT 2014

/var/lib/lightdm is the home directory of the lightdm user which is the
user account used to run greeters with.

/var/lib/lightdm/.cache/unity-greeter/state is the stored state of
unity-greeter. It will have your username as the last username logged in
with (so that is selected the next time you return to the greeter). You can
safely delete the state though it will be re-created each time
unity-greeter runs.

/var/lib/lightdm/.config/dconf/user is the dconf database for the lightdm
user. If you delete it you will loose any settings stored in gsettings for
the lightdm user. It should be empty when the user is created so you could
delete it. It will be re-created when any lightdm process writes a gsetting.

Note that /var/lib/lightdm should not be readable by any other user account.