[LightDM] Cache and config files in /var/lib/lightdm

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Jul 10 15:58:59 PDT 2014

At Fri, 11 Jul 2014 10:26:01 +1200 Robert Ancell <robert.ancell at gmail.com> wrote:

> /var/lib/lightdm is the home directory of the lightdm user which is the
> user account used to run greeters with.
>
> /var/lib/lightdm/.cache/unity-greeter/state is the stored state of
> unity-greeter. It will have your username as the last username logged in
> with (so that is selected the next time you return to the greeter). You can
> safely delete the state though it will be re-created each time
> unity-greeter runs.

I may write a session clean up script to clear this upon logout (session
cleanup?).

> /var/lib/lightdm/.config/dconf/user is the dconf database for the lightdm
> user. If you delete it you will loose any settings stored in gsettings for
> the lightdm user. It should be empty when the user is created so you could
> delete it. It will be re-created when any lightdm process writes a gsetting.

OK, I completely cleared out the template /var/lib/lightdm for the DRBL users.

The machines will now boot with that directory completely empty.

> Note that /var/lib/lightdm should not be readable by any other user account.

Right,  I was searching it using sudo.

> On 11 July 2014 02:04, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I just did a find & grep over /var and found two files with my username in
> > them:
> >
> > /var/lib/lightdm/.cache/unity-greeter/state
> > /var/lib/lightdm/.config/dconf/user
> >
> > Is there any good reason NOT to delete these files? That is, will deleting
> > them break lightdm or unity-greeter? I would presume there are sensible
> > defaults.
> >
> > --
> > Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
> > Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
> > http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
> > heller at deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933