[LightDM] Two configuration issues with lightdm in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 18:26:21 PST 2014

Hi Bevis,

On 5 November 2014 23:42, <b.king at surrey.ac.uk> wrote:

> If you lock your screen, it can spawn a new greeter on VT8 – this
> doesn’t seem to always happen, I haven’t worked out exactly what
> situations cause this.  Usually, when it locks after a session idle
> timeout, it just shows screensaver, manually asking it to lock gives you
> a greeter in VT8.  I’ve not checked if logging in with a second account,
> then locking that continues into VT9.
>
> What session are you using and what method is being used to lock the
screen? Some sessions lock the screen by getting the session to draw a
shield across their shell and prompting for authentication. Others ask
LightDM to lock the screen - this causes a greeter to be started on another
VT that switches back to the session once authenticated.

> Related to your own ~/.dmrc, the default set
> in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and /var/cache/lightdm/dmrc/$USER.dmrc
> which seems to be created after first login
>
> Defaults can get mixed up and simply not log you in.  I have noticed
> this going from my trusty desktop in the office to a precise lab machine
> – looks like it works after the first failed attempt without changing
> anything (I guess it picks up the created lightdm cache .dmrc file)

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. Could you file a bug [1] with a
set of steps that cause this and the logs from /var/log/lightdm?

Thanks,
--Robert

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm/+filebug