[LightDM] Developing a feature targeting 14.04

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 19:36:08 PST 2014

Hi Bob

> My 14.04 system has lightdm 1.10.1. I see from
> https://launchpad.net/lightdm that 1.10.4 is released and 1.10.5 is in
> development. How/when does Ubuntu pick up new dot releases? Does it go
> to Debian first? Any pointers to records/status for such planning?

The releases go to Ubuntu as soon as they are released. Debian picks up
releases as they see fit.

For each release you can see what bugs are targeted to it, e.g.:
https://launchpad.net/lightdm/+milestone/1.10.5

If you have something you want backported file a bug and use the "target to
series" button to propose it (if you don't have permissions to do this just
request it in the bug report). Make a merge proposal for the stable branch
(e.g. to lp:lightdm/1.10) and link it to the bug report.

> How can I determine the Ubuntu release bindings for the various lightdm
> series (e.g. 1.12 and 1.13)?

You can see the versions of Lightdm in Ubuntu here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lightdm

The odd numbered releases are always unstable (i.e. 1.11, 1.13) and that is
what the current version in development runs. Unstable releases are
developed on trunk (lp:lightdm). Just before an Ubuntu release trunk is
branched and given a stable number (e.g. 1.12, 1.14).

> What's the policy for new features? I presume they must first be
> integrated into the trunk? Do you permit backporting of features to
> prior series, and if so what's the criteria/procedure?

All new features should go onto trunk first.

Features may be backported if they fix bugs or add important new features
without breaking existing behaviour (sometimes a feature is backported but
set to disabled in a stable series while it is the new default behaviour on
trunk).

All updates to a released Ubuntu version need to go through the Stable
Release Update process (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates). So
by extension this applies to all changes in LightDM. However, since LightDM
is used in more projects than just Ubuntu all changes are considered if
there is a desire for them.

> I look forward to contributing to my first Community project and to
> working with the lightdm team.

Thanks for joining in!

Hope this helps,
--Robert