[LightDM] Proposal: Move LightDM code hosting from Launchpad to GitHub

Marco van Hulten marco at hulten.org
Wed Sep 20 17:10:00 UTC 2017

Hi Robert, and the rest,

Op 20 sep 00:14 schreef Robert Ancell:
> I'm considering moving the LightDM code hosting from Launchpad to
> GitHub and am interested in feedback.
>
> Reasons for moving:
> - Many Canonical projects are now hosted on GitHub (e.g. snappy, lxd)
> - GitHub is pretty popular, so should hopefully make contributions
> easier.
> - The value of using the Launchpad bug tracker to link upstream and
> Ubuntu bugs is reduced, now 17.10 used GDM by default (for Ubuntu
> desktop, other flavours continue to use LightDM).
> - Easier to integrate tools with GitHub, e.g. continuous integration,
> static analysis.

I would advice only to move it from Launchpad to GitHub if there is an
actual problem with the current situation that cannot be easily solved
on Launchpad.

I think the freedom point of Stephane is also important.  I am not sure
about the how well Launchpad would score if the FSF evaluated them,
though my guess is they would score higher than GitHub.

- Marco