[LightDM] Proposal: Move LightDM code hosting from Launchpad to GitHub

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 05:09:44 UTC 2017

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 at 06:10 Marco van Hulten <marco at hulten.org> wrote:

> Hi Robert, and the rest,
>
> Op 20 sep 00:14 schreef Robert Ancell:
> > I'm considering moving the LightDM code hosting from Launchpad to
> > GitHub and am interested in feedback.
> >
> > Reasons for moving:
> > - Many Canonical projects are now hosted on GitHub (e.g. snappy, lxd)
> > - GitHub is pretty popular, so should hopefully make contributions
> > easier.
> > - The value of using the Launchpad bug tracker to link upstream and
> > Ubuntu bugs is reduced, now 17.10 used GDM by default (for Ubuntu
> > desktop, other flavours continue to use LightDM).
> > - Easier to integrate tools with GitHub, e.g. continuous integration,
> > static analysis.
>
> I would advice only to move it from Launchpad to GitHub if there is an
> actual problem with the current situation that cannot be easily solved
> on Launchpad.

The problem is that Launchpad/Bzr is seen as a blocker to contributors.
This has been raised in the past, but the value of continuing with
Launchpad was more valuable to me at the time.

We could switch to using git on Launchpad, but I think it would be better
to move to GitHub if we're going to make any sort of switch.

> I think the freedom point of Stephane is also important.  I am not sure
> about the how well Launchpad would score if the FSF evaluated them,
> though my guess is they would score higher than GitHub.

I don't see the FSFs opinion as a blocker here. While I acknowledge that
GitHub is not free software, I don't think that negatively affects LightDM
development. Since it's git, it's quite easy to push the repository
elsewhere if that was an issue in the future.

I was surprised when the review came out they didn't review Launchpad. I
think people often forget it exists :)